Emily Gallagher was a candidate for District Leader in 2016, and lost narrowly to the 32-year incumbent endorsed by the Democratic Machine. For more information on her race, please see Rage Against The Political Machine. In 2017, Emily plans to continue her work as an involved community organizer, both as an individual and as a leader of Greenpoint Task Force and NAG.
- 10 year resident of Greenpoint, native of Rochester, NY.
- Neighborhood columnist in the Greenpoint Start Newspaper.
- Board member and former co-chair of neighborhood activist group Neighbors Allied for Good Growth ( NAG ) since 2007, and allied with all other local social and environmental justice non-profits.
- Petitioned Bill de Blasio to change how industrial fires were monitored and reported on after the CitiStorage Fire in 2015, which resulted in over 70 pages of signatures and change in hazard reporting procedures.
- Formed "Greenpoint Polish Lessons" club to make learning the Polish language available to non-native speakers in 2015.
- Formed McGuiness Boulevard Working Group to independently study pedestrian hazards in 2013.
- Organized the first "Where's My Park?" protest in 2009 to draw attention to the unfulfilled promises of the 2005 rezoning.
- Activism covered in an NPR: All Things Considered piece, "Environmentalists Adopt New Weapon," April 15,2009.
- Testified in City Council against the rezoning for the Domino site, and then for stronger community benefits after it was rezoned.
- Active and present in community discussions regarding quality of life, affordable housing, and environmental justice, good government and transportation equity in our neighborhood.
- Graduate of Ithaca College.
- Currently working on sustainable tourism initiatives as a Community Engagement Manager for Hostelling International.
- Former New York City History Museum Educator ( Tenement Museum, other historic homes ).
- Former after-school teacher at St. Nick's Alliance.
Rage against the political machine
Greenpoint: A Grassroots Push for More Cops
Activist challenges longtime incumbent in district leader race
Emily Gallagher’s Campaign: Echoes of Another Greenpoint Female Reformer?
Meet Emily Gallagher, the North Brooklyn Democrat Trying to Topple a 30-Year Incumbent
Day 18 – Emily Gallagher Candidate for District Leader, NAG Board Member
Mayor Bloomberg Breaks Ground at Bushwick Inlet
Sugarland! 'New Domino' Sweetens Up CB1
Remaking the Comprehensive Waterfront Plan
Environmentalists Adopt New Weapon: Seed Balls
Group responds to Williamsburg fire with online petition drive
City pours water on Williamsburg-fire health worries
The environment in Greenpoint
A study of Speeding on McGuinness Boulevard
Art collective recreates the sights — and smells — of old Greenpoint
What’s in a name? The Parks Department hopes cash at McCarren Park
Polskość na Greenpoincie nie zaginie - Hipsterzy uczą się języka polskiego
*This website has been designed and managed by Friends of Emily's volunteer members.